Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 18: Rainy days and Mondays

On this rainy Monday, I cannot help but wonder what Karen Carpenter did when a rainy day and a Monday occurred simultaneously.   Did she stay in bed with the covers over her head?   Eat lots of ice cream while watching bad TV?  Or did she put on her big girl panties, slicker and some lipstick, grab a cute umbrella, and head out into the maelstrom?  

Rainy days and Mondays sometimes get me down.  I almost always love rainy days unless the rain interferes with some planned outdoor activity.  Historically, Mondays have almost always gotten me down, save one exceptional time period in 2009, when Fridays got me down and I was excited for Mondays.  (Up was down, black was white.  It was chaos.  "Cats and dogs living together."*). 

This rainy day and Monday has me feeling down and especially out of sorts today.  And it was definitely the wrong day to skip my usual 4-shot liquid crack in favour of a large black coffee from Tim Hortons.   What was I thinking?  I know that I am a strong woman underneath all my bullshit.  A strong woman must recognize her weaknesses and take steps to avoid them.  In this, my 40th year, I ought to know, at a minimum, not to skip my morning drink of choice, whatever its current incarnation is.  It can only lead to very bad things: physical withdrawal, mental withdrawal.   A headache, mental dullness, and a marked inability to think clearly are rather disastrous when trying to climb Mt. Everest professionally, especially when I have barely made it to base camp 1 and the summit seems so far away. 

Brain is too fuzzy to go on at this juncture, so I'll sign off with Karen's lovely, tortured voice.   And the knowledge that Monday will be over in a little more than 7 hours, at least in my time zone, the sun has started to come out a bit, and I will not skip my morning crack tomorrow.



Talkin' to myself and feeling old.

Sometimes I'd like to quit;
Nothing ever seems to fit;
Hangin' around, nothing to do but frown;
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

What I've got they used to call the blues:
Nothin' is really wrong;
Feelin' like I don't belong;
Walkin' around, some kind of lonely clown;

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down
Funny, but it seems that I always wind up-a here with you;
Nice to know somebody loves me.
Funny, but it seems that it's the only thing to do:
Run and find the one who loves me.

What I feel is come and gone before:
No need to talk it out;
We know what it's all about.

Hangin' around, nothing to do but frown;
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down
Funny but it seems that it's the only thing to do,
Run and find the one who loves me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmbT5XC-q0

1 comment:

  1. I used to be a Monday hater until I had school aged children. Monday is now my favorite day of the week, the day that I do whatever I want or nothing at all. I jealously guard my Mondays, try never to make appointments or have commitments on them.

    ReplyDelete