Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 40: The Distance

3:29 a.m.   Watching a movie about a long distance relationship that kind of broke my heart when I saw it the first time at the theater.  It has been several months since I've seen it and so I thought that I'd rip the band aid off.

She's in San Francisco, and he's in New York.  Seeing that dramatic sweep of red iron over the deep blue always makes my heart seize.  And it transports me back in time to a few days in late April 2009.  Halcyon days when hope was the best thing.  When I believed in magic, that I was on that elusive road to happily ever after...my at last, at last....Silly not-so-little girl...

Her favourite movie is the Shawshank Redemption, which she tells him on the night that they might cute at a bar and bonded over a shared love of Centipede and bar trivia.   After  she reveals that Shawshank is her favourite movie, he immediately does Morgan Freeman's "I hope" speech..."I hope the Pacific is as blue it has been in my dreams....I hope, I hope."  Except he does Red's voice and knows the whole speech cold.

And it has the happy ending that follows the meet cute beginning as sold by Hollywood.  Except, it's a bait and switch.  At least in real life.   I, of course, know this logically. An I know it practically.  And I know it by experience.  Fuck, I
am a veteran, a gold-card member of this bait and switch.
Yet, I still cannot give up the ghost,   The illusion of one day...

No comments:

Post a Comment