Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 30: Things that make me smile

I am trying to make good on my vows.  So far, with the work day over in 25 minutes, I have drank almost an entire 16.9 ounce bottle of water.  It's a start, and I have several hours to make good on the remaining 40 or so ounces.   The others are more long term goals or cannot be accomplished yet. 

I am beginning to feel melancholy.  Listening to Rain Delays by Crash Parallel and Somewhere out there by Our Lady Peace a gazillion times is probably not helping.  Yet, somehow, I cannot seem to stop myself from hitting replay.  

So, I am going to work on Vow 6 and list some things that have made me smile today.   First, the drive into school and work for me and my sunshine girl.  She was in a particularly silly mood, and her silliness and smile are always contagious.  We were pretending to be mice/mouses.  She pointed out that her nose (and mine) are already pink and that she has whiskers like her dog except that hers are invisible.   I have my rear-view mirror titled so that I can see her sweet face.   She can also see my face so we were twitching our noses at each other and cracking up.  When we got to her school, I made another comment about our mouseness, and she felt the need to remind me that we were just "pretending, mommy, to be mouses."  In fact, I smiled so much that I thought my face might freeze in a permanent smile. 

Second, after dropping my sunshine girl off, I decided to get my next-to-last coffee at Starbucks.  The magic Starbucks is right by her school, and in the back of my mind I realized that given the lateness of the hour that I might run into my Starbucks crush.   Just in case, I freshened up my lipstick, ignoring my frizzy, rain-affected hair.  As I walked in and headed to the counter, I saw his shoes, combination running/hiking shoes, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw that it was him.  Indy's dad!  Another addict, er patron, separated us in the line.  He looked over at me, his blue eyes met mine, and we smiled at each other.  Sometimes, I am shy.   And  I quickly rifled through my bag looking for a distraction.  Our eyes met a couple more times, including when he passed me again as I placed my order and he heading down the long aisle to the door.  He stopped and talked to a barista on her break as I had moved to the other end of the counter--leaving us at separate ends of the store.  He looked down at me, smiling again, and I got those jittery, roller coastery butterflies.  I pulled out a business card and wrote my cell number on the back.  Alas, the dealer, er barista, took too long with my drink, and he was gone, walking off into the morning rain and fog.   Ah, maybe next time....

Third, snow showers of apple blossoms falling from the row of trees along my building.   Lovely, magical, bits of flowered hope on a cold, rainy day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment