Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 32: On sex and other random musings

Let's talk about sex.   Frankly.   I like to talk about sex and sexuality and various sexual acts.  In generalities. Not who did what to whom and when and where. I find the topic fascinating and under-discussed.  But is it possible to talk about sex, especially with men, without been viewed as a sexual object or a pervert or a bad girl?   Does living in a Christian society guarantee that we cannot talk about sex or that we must necessarily view sex and sexuality as something inherently secret or bad or sinful or dirty?  And is the intimation that sex is secret or inherently sinful part of what makes it thrilling?  In other words, would we still like sex as much as we do, if we discussed it openly and frankly?

(Am listening to Salt-n-Peppa singing "Let's talk about sex."*   I do tend toward being thematic, apparently even when blogging.)

Theoretically, men want a woman who is sexual and open about her sexuality.   Maybe, even practically, men want to have a sexual relationship with a woman who is sexual and open about her sexuality.   But, do men marry women who are sexual and open about their sexuality? Do men take women who are sexual home to meet their mothers? Or are sexual women destined to be relegated to the category of "whores in the bedroom", playthings--online or in the imagination?  Or is being sexual and open about sexuality tantamount to being a bad girl?  And I am not even talking about women who look overtly sexual or who you meet online in a sexual chat-room.  I am talking about real-life women, who do not look like they work the pole.  Who are ladies in the parlour.   Can a man have a long-term, serious relationship with a woman that he sees as sexual and open about her sexuality?  Or does the sex get in the way?

I guess that I will have to keep this one in the category of things to be continued and that make you go hmmmm....**

Day 2 of No Starbucks fared better than Day 1.  Just like my merry band of supporters said it would.  Of course, I started my day off with a large, black coffee from McDonald's with a shot of espresso.  At 12 pm.  After I woke up with a combination extreme migraine and sinus headache.   And locked my house key and link to civilization (blackberry) in the house.   I proceeded to break into my ex-laws house (not really--I know where they hide the key) and obtain their spare key.  I am fairly certain that it is not breaking and entering as they have given me permission in the past to do that and have not yet revoked their permission.  I also took some lilacs from the large lilac bush.  (Is it a bush or a tree?  Believe it or not, I once got into a debate with someone over the difference between a bush and a tree.  The green thumb having skipped a generation when it got to me, I still have no idea what the difference is or why it makes a difference in the context of a general, non-gardening conversation).  

I love lilacs.   Lovely and fragrant.  My dream is to someday have one outside my bedroom window.  


*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0E72qnjro

**Things that make you go hmmm was a regular segment on a late-night talk show hosted by Arsenio Hall in the late 80s and 90s.  This segment inspired a song by C & C Music Factory called "things that make you go hmmm."  In addition to hosting this show, Hall was also known for dating Paula Abdul.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2ayWcJfxo

No comments:

Post a Comment